1. List 2-3 facts or descriptions about a Japanese religion (e.g., Shinto, Buddhism, Christianity, New Religions, or folk religions) based on the website. Be specific in your description, and if what you read differs from other readings on Japanese religions, write that down.
2. Chose one of the facts or descriptions above and explain how that is similar to or different from religions you are more familiar with. List at least one similarity and one difference.
3. Read a few of the shrine and temple pages. Based on what you read and see, what are some of the main differences between Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples, in general?
4. Choose one of the festival links and list 2-3 interesting observations from the descriptions and by looking at the pictures/videos. Also, explain why you find that observation “interesting”.
5. Read about and watch the two “Household rituals” clips (under “Religions” heading). List some of your initial impressions of the rituals. Also, explain how they compare with rituals you are more familiar with?
6. Putting it altogether: How would you describe to your instructor or to a friend what it means to be “religious” for most Japanese today? Where should you look to find academic sources to learn even more? (Hint: See References)
Class time: 5-10 minutes
Take 5-10 minutes of class time to have a volunteers answer the questions for the class and turn in their responses for a grade.